The ‘Espaço Livre’ Family Integration Centre in the city of Mariana
Modena Terzo Mondo supports the ‘Espaço Livre’ Family Integration Centre in Mariana, in the state of Minas Gerais. If you would like to give a donation to support the Espaço Livre Project, don’t hesitate to contact us!
The centre is currently used by around 90 children and teenagers, both boys and girls, who are between 7 and 14-years-old and it is open from 7:30am to 4:30pm. The children who come here are all from Cabanas, a suburban district where the centre is located.
The majority of the district’s residents have emigrated from the countryside or other cities and states to Mariana to look for employment. Most of the families still live in financially unstable conditions and they are often unable to give their children a decent education because of the level of unemployment. The main requirement that is asked of the children who use the centre is that they also regularly attend school, so that the centre’s activities supplement a school education instead of replacing it.
- Nutrition: three meals are served daily: breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack.
- Sporting activities.
- Taught courses: literacy and reading classes, school support lessons, catch-up classes and coaching.
- IT courses: use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Windows.
- Youth participation: organisation of events, debates and workshops for children.
- Teamwork activities revolving around parish life.